Call for participation
Open Education Week is a celebration of the global Open Education Movement. Its purpose is to raise awareness about open education and its impact on teaching and learning worldwide. Open education encompasses resources, tools and practices that employ a framework of open sharing to improve educational access and effectiveness. Participation in all events and use of all resources are free and open to everyone.
The Open Education Week Organizing Committee invites your contributions to and participation in the annual Open Education Week, featuring online and in-person events around the world.
Ways to Contribute:
There are many ways you can contribute to Open Education Week: upload an informational or inspirational video, host an event in your community, send us links to resources about open education, hold a webinar, and promote open education week in your social media networks. To contribute a video or resource, or to have your event or webinar featured on the Open Education Week Events calendar, please use the submission form at www.openeducationweek.org. To get the website ready, we need your submissions by 10 February 2015. You are welcome to submit multiple resources or events. Please fill out one form for each contribution.
The Open Education Week website will feature short videos (2-5 minutes in length) showcasing open education projects, featuring short messages about open education, or providing how-to tutorials on aspects of open education. A third category is being added this year for longer, inspirational talks, panels or interviews on open education. We welcome videos that are specially made for Open Education Week, as well as those already available that fit the following categories:
If your organization is working on an open education project from which others might learn valuable practices or in which you would like broader awareness or participation then please submit a short video overview of your project.
Open Education messages:
These short videos will convey the importance of open education to institutions, organizations, learners, governments, etc. Do you know a policy maker, administrator, faculty member or enthusiastic learner who can deliver a powerful message by video? Submit it to be shared with the world.
Would you like to share your expertise in open education to newcomers? Can your organization create short videos that highlight best practices and policies in open education? Increase the impact of these videos by sharing them with the global community on the open education week site. Topics of particular interest include:
- The benefits of OER usage
- Finding and using OER
- Creating accessible OER
- Fostering open policies
- Understanding open licenses
- Open Source Software (OSS) tools for OER
Have you given or heard a talk about open education that was stimulating, motivating or highly informative? We invite you to share inspirational videos of any length such as interviews, keynote speeches, panel discussions, etc. on the topic of open education.
Please upload your video to your preferred platform, such as Vimeo or YouTube, make sure it’s openly licensed, and send us the URL link.
The Open Education Week website will direct visitors to resources in several different languages that provide tools and supporting materials to enhance open educational practices.
Informational resources can be documents, repositories, research materials, newsletters, slide presentations, links or blogs. If you have created or are aware of resources that would be helpful for developing or maintaining open education projects, please share them through the submission form. We are particularly interested in the following topics:
- Why open education?
- Open Licensing and attributing works
- Open Policy development and considerations
- Open Assessment of learning
- Increased efficiency and decreased cost through open educational practices
- Tools for Finding and Using OER
- Impacts of open education on learners and educators
- How to use OSS to create OER
Events and webinars
Consider hosting one or more the following events:
- Workshop: Hold a workshop for the general public, or a specific audience such as faculty members or students on how to use open materials, understanding open licenses, how to modify materials for classroom use, how to create OER, etc. Please note: Our friends from the European Open Edu Policy Project are creating a toolkit for these workshops. The toolkit is modular, so you can select the modules you want to cover. The toolkit will be available on the www.openeducationweek.org website in January, 2015.
- Mini-conference/forum on open education: Invite local professors who use or contribute open educational resources, open access journal articles and other open practices. Link up with other institutions for a live chat or debate.
- Involve all aspects of open: Organize an event with organizations related to “open” in your region: open licensing, open culture, open access, open governance, open data, open source software etc.
- Webinars: Offer a webinar open to the world during open education week. The topic can be on anything related to open education – tools, resources, impacts, practices, case studies, debate, etc. You can also stream your local event, or simulcast lectures or talks.
Promoting your event:
Your event can be featured on the Open Education Week events calendar by filling out the submission form. Please also promote your event through your local networks and local media. Please use hashtag #openeducationwk on social media for greater exposure and engagement. Web banners, posters and promotional materials can be downloaded on the Open Education Week website http://openeducationweek.org. Feel free to customize these materials.
Open Education Week will feature discussion forums on topics of interest via an interactive area on the website. If you would like to host a discussion forum on a particular topic or to form a specific group, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Promoting Open Education Week
Help us get the word out about open education! Here are some ideas for promotional activities:
- Display the Open Education Week banner on your website or blog (download the banners from www.openeducationweek.org
- Direct people to the social media sites for the week: facebook.com/openeducationwk,twitter.com/openeducationwk, https://www.youtube.com/user/openeducationweek/
- Post or retweet tweets in your language using #openeducationwk
- Write an Opinion piece for the editorial page of your local newspaper or for online news sites
- Contact community education or on-campus groups and ask them to participate
- Write blog posts on open education week (tell us where they are at email@example.com and we’ll link to them from the site!)
You can find more information, ideas, FAQ on open education and archives from the 2013 and 2014 Open Education Weeks at www.openeducationweek.org. More questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Education Week is coordinated by The Open Education Consortium.
Please submit your contributions through our online Submission Form. If you have any problems or questions, contact us at email@example.com.